How to Eliminate Common Fire Hazards in Your Home

Fire risk is a major cause of concern for homeowners in Australia. Most are concerned about wildfires. However, natural causes are not the only way your home could end up ablaze. It’s very important to identify the things that could pose a fire risk. Here are several ways you can eliminate common fire risk threats in your home:

Keep Flammable Items Away from the Stove

A surprisingly number of home fires originate in the kitchen. Specifically, fires start usually from the stove. You are most likely to set something ablaze while cooking. Fires spread from the stoves because of flammable items we keep around here, such as cloth oven mitts, hand towels, paper towels, and curtains. So, make sure such flammable items are kept far away from the stove as much as possible, even if your stove is completely electric. Ideally, keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen near the stove as a precaution.

Keep the Electrical System Well Maintained

Faulty wiring is one of the better known causes of fires in Australian homes. Not all homeowners are aware of how things like the fuse boxes work. Therefore, it’s easy to miss electrical fire hazards like broken outlets, dimming lights, bad wiring, or low-quality material using in wiring. It’s not recommended to check wiring system in the house yourself, except for occasionally using a voltage checker. You need to find the best electricians Kenthurst or your local area to inspect the electrical system in your home. You should have fixtures and outlets checked at least annually to ensure nothing poses a fire risk.

Keep Heating Equipment Away from Beds and Sofas

Heating appliances like space heaters are also known for sparking fires. Heating equipment typically aren’t dangerous if used according to instructions. Fire risk occurs when you keep items like space heaters near flammable material like bed sheets, curtains, or cloth-covered sofas. You must keep heating appliances and portable generators far away from anything that could catch fire. This is particularly important when you turn the heater on and go to bed at night.

Get Rid of Faulty Appliances

Does your electric kettle tend to overheat or maybe issue a minor electric shock when you plug it in? You may not give it much thought as long as the appliance still works. However, these signs indicate a faulty product. You need to replace any appliances that cause electrical problems at home. It’s important to have very old electrical appliances replaced because these may not follow modern safety standards.

Store Flammable Liquids Safely

You must store flammable liquids like gasoline, charcoal, or kerosene safely. Do not store them in an area where there are flammable items like piles of newspapers. It’s recommended to keep flammable liquids sealed in metal containers. You should then place the containers in a safe area away from sources of heat, such as wall outlets you may occasionally use. If you keep flammable liquids stored year-around, do check up on the containers to make sure the items don’t pose a fire risk.
Always remember to keep fire extinguishers in your home, such as in the kitchen and garage. Follow the above safety tips and educate yourself about fire safety guidelines in your local area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*